What is TOEIC?
Produced since 1979 by Educational Testing Service (ETS), the leading US organization in educational research and assessment processes, the TOEIC® test is an international certification to measure the level of English and diagnose the oral and written comprehension of non-native English speakers. According to Abbreviationfinder, TOEIC stands for Test Of English for International Communication.
Who uses TOEIC?
Companies national and multinational business schools, universities, educational institutions and language use TOEIC as an objective test reliable, efficient and accreditation management English.
The TOEIC® test is chosen by around 14,000 organizations in 150 countries around the world who use it during the selection process for their new recruits and to measure their employees’ English language proficiency. Thus, it has become one of the main tools to demonstrate the level of English achieved in the personal Curriculum Vitae.
What are the benefits of TOEIC?
DEVELOP A MORE EFFICIENT WORK TEAM. Today’s companies use it to:
– Recruit, select and promote employees according to their level of English.
– Select participants for programs, trainings and seminars in English.
– Implement a common standard of English proficiency locally and internationally.
STANDARDIZE THE EVALUATION OF THE ENGLISH OF YOUR STUDENTS, THROUGH AN INTERNATIONAL AND OBJECTIVE TOOL. Universities and educational institutes use it to:
– Monitor the progress of students in the study programs.
– Evaluate the effectiveness of these programs.
– Establish program objectives according to the language skills of the students.
Register to take TOEIC® on any of our monthly dates and improve your professional profile.
- TOEIC Listening & Reading registrations are processed up to 48 business hours before the administration date. TOEIC Speaking & Writing registrations are processed up to 7 business days prior to the administration date.
- You must present one of the following identification documents: PASSPORT, DNI or IDENTITY CARD (updated).
- The documents must be valid, have a recent and identifiable photo and your signature.
- If your nationality is not Argentine, you must present PASSPORT.
- It must be presented half an hour before the assigned time.
- The payment of the examination fee must be made at the ICANA cash desk before the start of the exam.
How is the exam?
TOEIC BRIDGE | Exam for elementary levels
TOEIC Bridge is based on the TOEIC test, but is used to measure the level of proficiency in non-native speakers from beginner to lower intermediate level. TOEIC Bridge presents easier questions than TOEIC and is designed to help teachers, students, and staff assess, practice, and improve listening and writing comprehension of the English language.
The TOEIC Bridge is a paper and pencil based test, composed of 100 multiple choice questions and the duration of the exam is approximately one hour.
TOEIC® Listening and Reading. It is a multiple-choice assessment that is done on paper and pencil. It has 2 sections of 100 questions each, with a specific duration.
Section I: Listening | AUDITIVE COMPREHENSION. Test takers listen to a variety of questions and short conversations recorded in English. They then answer 100 questions based on what they have heard.
- Part 1: Photographs
- Part 2: Questions and Answers
- Part 3: Short dialogues.
- Part 4: Conversations and presentations.
Section II: Reading | READING COMPREHENSION. Test takers read a variety of materials and answer 100 questions about grammar knowledge and text comprehension.
- Part 5: Incomplete sentences
- Part 6: Recognize mistakes or complete a text
- Part 7: Reading Comprehension
Exam duration | The exam lasts approximately 2 and a half hours
- Section I: 45 minutes.
- Section II: 75 minutes.
- Biographical Questions: approximately 30 minutes.
What is the TOEIC score? | The TOEIC score ranges from 10 to 990 points. Divided into levels as follows:
- Elemental: 10 to 215
- Higher Elemental: 220 to 465
- Intermediate: 470 to 725
- Upper Intermediate: 730 to 855
- Advanced: 860 to 990
An additional benefit of these international evaluations is the validation of the result obtained, in relation to the parameters of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages ( Common European Framework).
TOEIC® Speaking and Writing. It is a new assessment in Argentina that allows to measure oral and written communication skills in English.
The exam is designed to provide information about the proficiency of speakers within a professional English range.
Section I: Speaking | Those evaluated verbally answer 11 questions about an oral instruction.
- Part 1–2: Read a text aloud
- Part 3: Describe an Image
- Part 4–6: Answer Questions
- Part 7–9: Answer Questions Using Information Provided
- Part 10: Propose a solution
- Part 11: Express an opinion
- Evaluation criteria: Pronunciation, intonation, grammar, vocabulary, cohesion and relevance and integrity of the content.
Section II: Writing | The evaluated ones answer in writing 8 questions about a written instruction.
- Part 1–5: Write a sentence based on an image
- Part 6–7: Respond to a Written Request
- Part 8: Write an opinion essay
Evaluation criteria: Relevance of the sentence to the image, quality and variety of sentences, support of their opinion with reasons and / or examples, grammar, vocabulary and organization.
Exam duration | The exam lasts approximately 1 hour and a half
- Section I: 20 minutes.
- Section II: 60 minutes.
What is the TOEIC score? | The TOEIC score ranges from 0 to 200 points.
Results are available within three weeks of taking the exam. It is taken for all levels and according to the score achieved it shows the level of understanding of the person. These results are valid for two years. The test is corrected by ETS directly, and the results are sent within 15 calendar days.
How to prepare for TOEIC?
TOEIC does not require prior specific preparation because it measures the knowledge already acquired from elementary to advanced level. The use of the official practice material is recommended to become familiar with the content and the way of presentation.