Salazar y Herrera University Institution. Colombian higher level institute created as a contribution of the Liceo Salazar y Herrera and the Archdiocesan Church, to the improvement of the coverage and quality of its educational action in the central western sector of the city of Medellín.
Its mission is the development of comprehensive training in Higher Education, on a continuous and permanent basis, in the fields of action of technique, technology and science, in the light of Catholic principles, in the fields of training. integral human, of the scientific-technological domain, of reflection and internalization that illuminate the teaching and learning processes, research and values, graduating professionals with human quality, committed to the generation and management of companies, for the good of the family , local, regional and national society.
The Catholic philosophical ideal that the Institution has proposed will be projected in the person, in the family, in the company and in society, through the dynamic and creative interaction between Faith, Reason, Science, Technology and Productivity., to facilitate access to education and research for the population of all social sectors, in harmony with the values and integral, equitable and sustainable human development.
- human dignity
- The confiability
- The service
- The decision
- the effectiveness
- Promote the search for the truth of God, man and the Church, which illuminates the process of scientific knowledge, research, technical, technological, cultural, social development and coexistence in values.
- Practice universality, with an educational institution open to all scientific and technological knowledge and cultural expressions.
- Base the educational service on respect for the human dignity of all educational agents, through the organization and development of participatory, pertinent, flexible programs and projects and the incessant search for improvement in the quality of the training offered.
- Always maintain the principle of conservation of coherence as a constant between definitions and actions, and that all actions are always at the service of the integral formation of man.
- Have as a rule, to ensure the quality of service and the development of programs and projects, timely communication, based on dialogue and agreement, mutual respect, coexistence and solidarity.
- Promote respect for the developmentand conservation of the environment and natural resources.
- Promote comprehensive training with formal, continuing and permanent education alternatives, abiding by current laws and regulations, with human development as the main indicator.
- Promote a healthy, pleasant, cheerful, positive, assertive and responsible training and work environment in the execution of all plans, programs and projects.
- Support the personal, professional and family growth of all our educational agents, especially the training process of “BEING A TEACHER”, in its pedagogical dimension and insertion in the educational community, to face the challenges of global competitiveness.
- Educate for the exercise of democracyand the freedom of being a citizen so that the student understands the role that he or she must play in society.
- Consider inter-institutional cooperation as an important component for the achievement of objectives and the development of projects, hence the constant link with the business sector and other HEIs is configured as an essential element of the learning and teaching processes.
- Understand planning as a corporate function that crystallizes in the structuring of a general plan for a predetermined time and in projects that originate in each academic and administrative unit.
- Conceive the IUSH as a place for discussion of social problems, promoting free interpretation, individual opinion and respect for the ideas of each person.
- Work hard so that all our educational agents, actors and subjects of the educational act, in their multiple personal interrelationships, in their relationships with scientific, technological and axiological objects with the context or means of influence, assimilate, understand and carry out our Integrative Pedagogical Model, in its fundamental axes: the achievement of an authentic integral human formation; the practice of researchas an attitude and basic activity, and the permanent search for the relevance of knowledge, evidencing its characteristics of contextualization, globalization, multidimensionality, complexity and “anthropo-ethics”.
The desire to give continuity, at the level of higher education, to the educational service that the Liceo Salazar y Herrera has been providing for years, with coverage from preschool to the end of the academic average, was an idea of its Eximio Rector, Monsignor Gustavo Calle Giraldo.
The conviction of this pastor and educator, about the convenience and necessity of training professionals and technologists to promote the socioeconomic and cultural development of the Country, the department of Antioquia and the city of Medellín, prompted him to present before the Steering Committee of the Liceo Salazar y Herrera at that time, the proposal to create technological education programs in this same educational complex, benefiting from said expansion of coverage the same high school graduates from the Liceo Salazar y Herrera, from the archdiocesan schools and those from the official and private schools in the area of influence of Liceo Salazar y Herrera.
The Directive Committee, in a session held in November 1991, approved the Project to create the Salazar y Herrera University Institution, hereinafter IUSH.
The first stage of the life of the Salazar y Herrera University Institution ranges from the initiation of the socio-cultural feasibility study to its first product or first harvest of technologist graduates, which in this case is delimited by the manager’s decision to initiate the feasibility study, at the end of 1991, and the graduation of its first 20 technologists, on September 25, 1998.